In 1913 was inaugurated, the then called National Theater. In the following years, changes in the urban center forced to rethink and modernize the property, and so, in 1923, the Rivoli Theater
was born, refurbished, adapted to the cinema and with an opera, dance, theater and concerts program.
In the 70's, the theater's image suffered a setback, caused by a bad financial situation. The Rivoli
began to degrade, with obsolete equipment, no regular programming and no public. At that time, the Oporto City Council decided to buy the structure, in order to return it to the city and its inhabitants.
In 1992 the Theater closed for a total refurbishment, opening its doors again in 1997.